Football: Bede's U13s Win Ardingly Tournament for Second Year Running


Head of Football Mr Allan gives his account of Bede's U13s victorious run at the annual Ardingly Football Tournament.

Our opening match against Copthorne was an easy match. Carter scored first after receiving a pass from Smith. He turned on to his left foot and knocked the ball home. Minutes later Carter turned in the penalty box and chipped the ball to Sampson. Sampson turned and scored, making it 20.

Before long Smith once again played a good pass, this time to Harvey whose first shot was blocked. He followed up the save and scored from close range making it 4-0 before also scoring our fourth goal after a poor goal kick. He pounced on a loose ball and stroked it into the bottom right corner.

We began the second half with another quick goal to take us to 5-0. Collett in defence passed to Frame, he linked to Smith who passed to Sampson. James laid the ball back to Collins who came inside a defender and scored.

Smith scored our last goal with a wonderful shot from outside of the penalty area. Copthorne pulled a goal back towards the end of the match after Hart lost the ball when he should have passed and the ball was played in behind Collett. Lenham came rushing out but was 'lobbed'.


Final score: 6-1

Our next game against Handcross was another relatively easy victory as we were much the stronger team. Sampson should have scored from a cross from Collins but his shot was tame and saved easily. 1-0 was achieved from Carter after a number of short incisive passes split the defence.

A little later, Harvey also could have scored when a scuffed shot from Carter was half cleared. His shot went straight at the goalkeeper though!

2-0 arrived after a well delivered short corner plan. Collins and Carter worked the ball back to Smith on the edge of the penalty box. His 'fizzing' shot was parried by the goalkeeper but Harvey was quick to follow in a poke the ball in.

We scored two more goals in the second half to seal our second win: Smith once again scored from long range and Carter continued his run of goal scoring with a good follow up of a save from Harvey's shot.


Final score: 4-0

Our third match against Brighton College was a very close game although I always felt we were much stronger than Brighton. Carter had a number of half chances in the first half, as did a few other players. We really should have scored at least once in the first half but, alas, did not.

In the second half we played far better and with more composure. Carter was once again our goal scorer and was enjoying an excellent tournament. Hart won the ball, as he had so many times before, and passed out to Harvey on the left. He found Collins, who was now employed as our striker. Collins played the ball in behind the defence to Ollie. His first shot with his right foot was blocked, he reacted quickly, turned onto his left, and curled the ball into the top left hand corner of the goal.

Although we were ahead, we desperately needed a second goal so Carter was once again played in by Collins after some patient build up play. He rounded the goalkeeper and then fired his shot into the side netting! Brighton then caught us on the counter attack and suddenly the game was 1-1.

The score stayed this way and the boys were very disappointed.


Final score: 1-1

Our final Group Match was against local rivals St Andrew's and was a 'must win' if we wanted to be top of our group.

A 2-0 victory was achieved with goals in the second half. Sampson could have scored in the first half after he showed some good dribbling skills, but they were far better than his shooting on this occasion!

There were a few counter attacks by our opponents but nothing that our defenders could not contain.

Collins scored our first goal after Carter passed to Sampson who pulled the ball back and Tom duly scored with his left foot. Sampson later made up for his earlier error with a fantastic goal which saw great interplay between him, Carter and Collins.


Final score: 2-0



Our Semi Final match against Hurst began in a very dominant style and we took an early lead.

Harvey had a shot that flew over the bar and Sampson had another good attempt but his shot too went wide. Collins scored our first from a free kick. Every player missed the ball and his shot went straight in!

Sampson scored our second after a lovely pass from Collins and 3-0 was achieved early in the second half when Collins slid the ball in behind a defender for Carter. He calmly scored once more.

A Hurst goal came after we allowed their best player to dribble through some terrible tackles!


Final score: 3-1

The final game saw us squaring up against hosts Ardingly. This was a very close match and consequently rather nervy!

Ardingly began well and hit our crossbar with a long range shot. Sampson had a good chance in the first half after receiving a ball from Harvey but tiredness was setting in and some of the boys were really struggling.

The winning goal came from the impressive Carter. Collett won the ball in defence and dribbled forward. Carter made his usual run from out wide, in behind a defender. The pass from Archie was perfectly weighted, allowing Ollie the chance to take a touch and then shoot low under the Ardingly goalkeeper.


Final score: 1-0 to Bede's

In all, we had a very successful day and came away as champions. Furthermore, we scored 17 goals and only conceded 3. Not bad boys!

Many thanks to all who played and supported.