Football: Bede’s Prep 1st XI 2014 Season Review


Our first team have enjoyed yet another successful season and I have once again been delighted with their effort in training sessions and their endeavours during our fixtures.

The eleven-a-side matches have seen us only lose once and perhaps drawn a few games that we should really have won. We seemed to be quite good when attacking but often our defensive frailties led to some poor goals being conceded.

For some players the jump up to a 'full game' has been a little too early and occasionally our team play has then suffered.


My particular highlights from this area of the season was our first match of the season when we played at Hurst and won 5-1, our thrilling 2-2 draw with New Beacon on a Saturday morning that saw all types of weather affect the game and finally, our stunning victory away to Ardingly which saw us play to our full potential and come away with a 6-0 victory.

Our last game of the season saw us play Vinehall. It was not a very competitive match for our team and the passing and team play was superb. The final score was 7-0 and it did at least give us chance to move players into other positions; Scott, our goalkeeper played at left midfield, and Reubin, our centre back has always fancied himself as a goal scorer, so he played as a striker. Thankfully he didn't score otherwise we would never have heard the last of it!


This season we have collected two trophies out of the three tournaments we entered. Early in the season the U13 team won the Ardingly 8-a-side tournament after defeating the hosts in a close final. This is the third year in a row that we have won this particular tournament, which is a fine achievement.

The same squad of players then competed in the inaugural Bede's Challenge Cup, held at our senior school. This was another 8-a-side tournament and once again the boys made it to the final and this time won it in convincing style.

On the way to the final we beat Holmewood House and St Christopher's, and drew with Great Walstead. It was Great Walstead that also made it to the final and the 3-1 victory was very satisfying after we had played so well throughout the tournament.


Our U12 team then attended the Ardingly 9-a-side tournament, hoping to retain the winner's trophy we brought with us! The boys played really well throughout the tournament and deservedly made it to the final, after beating St Andrew's in the Semi Final.

This was a nail biting game and had to be settled with a dreaded penalty shoot-out. In the final, we unfortunately came up against a very competitive host team and we were unable to bring home this trophy.

I wish to thank, once more, all of the boys who have played for the first team this season. We have always attempted to play the game the right way and have frequently impressed the opposition with our style of play this season.


Scott in goal, Tom C, our captain, who played as an emergency centre back, Nahje in midfield and Ollie C who floated in the No.10 position gave me a very competent and reliable spine to the team.

James scored many goals for us as a lone striker, Archie, Themba and Juan all impressed on the wings, Freddie and Joe were both very useful in the centre of midfield in various games, Tom F and Joel did a decent job at full back or in the centre of midfield, Ollie H was impressive at left back and Reubin used his strength and pace as a centre back, with ambitions to move into attacking positions.

It was such a shame that Ian was injured all season and he had to cope with watching from the side lines! 


Colours have been awarded to Tom C, Ollie C, Nahje, Scott, Archie, Ollie H and James.


Learn more about Football at Bede's Prep School >