Rugby: Bede’s Triumphs In Sussex Sevens


On the 24 February a team of 12 enthusiastic Bede's rugby players headed to Cardinal Newman School to compete in the Sussex 7’s competition.

The players arrived ready to start their new 7’s season under coach Neil Stannard, with our first of four games against an unknown Lancing College side.


The game started well with the boys learning to play together and adapting to their new style of play; and within 15 seconds of kick off, Patrick Ankjaer scored starting our try scoring campaign. This would be his first and last impact in the tournament, being taken off due to a split eyebrow.

The game continued in the same manner with the boys putting in a solid first performance with some classy tries from Marcus Hendry and Sam Kisbee, with the final score being 47-7.


We then had a short break between our next games giving us a little time to recover. The team then played their second game of the day against Cardinal Newman B’s. After watching their first game we knew what to expect and played a wide game of rugby with some brilliant individual pieces of skill from Bertie Cook and Max Olujobi; aiding the team to a 42-5 victory.

Half way through the tournament, the team was beginning to feel a little tired but were still up for their biggest game so far against Cardinal Newman A’s.

The game didn’t start well for the strong Bede’s side and we went down three tries to one.

The team still continued to defend their line, with Theo Morse holding up a try. However this didn’t dampen the teams desire to win as Gary Walker stole the ball and ran in a 90m try, giving the boys confidence to play a fluid and more expansive style of play.


Thomas Stoddart then scored a try and Sam Kisbee picked up two for himself, helping the team to win 31-19, being hailed as “the best performance of the tournament” by Mr Stannard.

With one more game to go against the only other undefeated team Colliers, a tired Bede’s side stepped onto the field knowing the challenge ahead.

Again, the game didn’t start well with the team going two tries down in three minutes and all four substitutes having to come on due to injury. The team then held out till half time, with wise words from Captain Bertie Cook the team stepped back out onto the pitch determined to overturn the score.

Bede’s were pressured in their half for the first few minutes but a mistake by the opposition lead to a counter attack which, sadly, fell short. Colliers then brought the score to 19-0, but Bede’s did not give up.


An excellent run by Max Olujobi set up a try for Bertie Cook in the corner, making the final score 19-7, and Bede’s finished the competition in second place.

Throughout the tournament, Bede’s played outstandingly, with some excellent performances across the board. Whether it be Samson Lock’s huge hitting, solid scrum performances from Thomas Gibb and Charles Brunton, nippy runs from Sam Kisbee and Thomas Stodart, powerful runs from Gary Walker and Joseph Robson and some great pace from Max Olujobi and Marcus Hendry.

The boys were a little disheartened by the result of the final match but we all also impressed one another with the way in which we played throughout the tournament, giving a more than impressive platform to work off for the rest of the season.

With Rosslyn Park, and Halliford Sevens tournaments to come, silverware certainly remains a possibility!


Learn more about the Bede's Rugby Club >